CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Same Title, Different Story



I didn’t realize until a couple of years ago that there are different versions of Nancy Drew books under the same title. So I’ve been searching Ebay auctions for the other versions I don’t have. Some of the books have been completely rewritten, like ‘The Whispering Statue’. I got the 1970 edition when I was younger, but I recently purchased the 1937 edition. I’m currently reading the older version and was surprised to find out it is nothing like my 1970 edition: it’s a totally different story.


Other books in the Nancy Drew series have been edited to bring them more up to date with our current culture and to make them more politically correct. They have, however, kept most of the same characters and plot-line.

I’ve found to my delight that the older books are quite entertaining - the language is more descriptive. Many of the newer books are more skimpy on the details and provide more ‘action’, as if to speed up the story.

Photos Courtesy Ebay & Wikipedia

0 comments: