CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Back from Vacation

We took a one-week vacation to get away from the snow and cold, which we get very sick of by the end of February. Here in the U.S. we call it a vacation and I think other parts of the world call it a holiday. Any way you say it: vacation, holiday, time off: it sounds good to me!

We went to a place that has electricity, but we had no television and no computers at our lodge. There were also no telephones and no newspapers. Cell phones don’t work. Sound amazing? Yes, there is a place in the U.S. like this: it’s Death Valley National Park in southern California.

Many folks would go crazy not having these things available, but we didn’t mind. We were there to enjoy the beauty of the park. It’s a land of extremes. You can drive from below sea level to 5,000 feet above sea level in about 20 miles. It was one of the most spectacular drives we’ve ever done in a national park.

In case you are wondering why there is no cell phone reception, there are mountain chains all around the park.

It’s a lesson we need to re-learn from time to time. Humanity has accomplished so many things, but when all is said and done, nature will just about always win.

While we were gone, I read one book about a famous female-sleuth and I’ll talk about it soon.

3 comments:

Jeanne C. said...

It sounds beautiful! We were just buried under 30+ inches of snow and we were without cable and internet. It was nice and peaceful,but we were all glad when we got our service back!

Librarian said...

A friend of mine deliberately goes incommunicado for a day or two from time to time, just to prove to himself that he can do it. The first time he did that I didn't know, and became very anxious about him not responding to any message, but later he explained it to me and I think it is a good thing to do every now and then. So far, I have not managed more than half a day :-D

LadyPI said...

Hi Jeanne - thanks for following my blog!
You have my sympathy on getting all that snow. I can't imagine how you managed it.

Hi Librarian - I find when I'm home, it's hard to stay away from the computer for more than a few hours at a time. I am old enough to remember when there was no internet. How did we ever amuse ourselves then?