CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, December 28, 2009

Done with “Mum’s the Word” by Kate Collins

There is a promo for this book that states: “Move over, Stephanie Plum. Abby Knight has come to town”. I don’t agree with that statement. To me Stephanie is more of a slapstick-like character than anything. She reminds me of Lucy Ricardo - always getting herself into crazy predicaments. I enjoy Stephanie’s exploits, but I don’t think Abby is like her.

This book is a little less cozy than many of the mysteries I’ve read. Not to say that’s bad. It’s quite a good read and there are many facets to the book that make it interesting. Abby’s quest for justice fuels the story, and we see the outrage she feels at those who commit crimes and get away with them.

Abby’s inability to deal with her mother’s vision for her life extends to her not being able to say ‘no’ to the hideous sculptures her mother makes and brings to Abby’s flower shop for her to sell.

And Abby’s co-workers Lottie and Grace are watching out for her welfare, whether it’s trying to set her up on a date or warning her to stop meddling. Grace is a Brit with a habit of spouting Shakespeare at all the appropriate moments. Abby sometimes thinks they are inappropriate moments!

Rounding out the cast of characters, there’s Marco, the man with the steel abs and a glint of gold in his eyes. Plus Nikki, Abby’s best friend and flighty roommate; and Simon, Nikki’s cat, who loves to play with rubber bands and straws.

I enjoyed this book. You can buy it here:

2 comments:

Librarian said...

I have not left a comment on your blog for quite a while, and I hope you've had a peaceful Christmas and Santa brought all the things you wished for - and more! :-)
One of the presents I had was "A Highland Christmas", by M.C. Beaton. It is part of the Hamish McBeth mystery series and, unlike the other books in the series, there is no murder - but a cat is stolen, some Christmas lights and a big tree go missing, and some other things happen that make for a light, easy and cosy read.
I finished it in two evenings, but I must say I did not guess who had taken the cat until it was revealed.

LadyPI said...

Hi Librarian - Thanks for your comment. Always nice to hear from you.

Yes, we had a peaceful Christmas and I hope you and your family did too.

Thanks for the info on the Hamish McBeth book. Different in that there is no murder. Sometimes I wish more mysteries were written that way.