CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, March 19, 2010

Done with “Through the Grinder” by Cleo Coyle

When Clare Cosi puts coffee beans through the coffee grinder, the bean is chopped into many tiny bits. Sometimes Clare feels like this is happening to her.


This book is well written and the ending was a complete surprise. I love it when that happens. There is nothing worse than figuring out ‘who done it’ long before you reach the end of a book, in my opinion. It makes for a very dull read.

Since this book is set in New York City, you get a lot of information about the city’s history and architecture. For example you find out about SoHo, the shortened name of a neighborhood in lower Manhattan SOuth of HOuston Street.

One part of the book I did not enjoy was when Clare’s sleuthing takes her to an art gallery called Death Row. Take a guess as to what kind of art is sold in this gallery. Before you go there, you need to have a shot of expresso. And author Coyle gives you some great recipes just for the occasion.

One thing I didn’t know is that you can use coffee to tenderize a steak by marinating it overnight, and there is a recipe in the book for how to do this. There are also tips for storing coffee to preserve it’s flavor.

I think I need to make myself a cup of coffee right now!

You can buy the book here:

2 comments:

Librarian said...

I agree that it takes away a lot of the fun in reading when you figure out early on what happened, but when a book is written in a way that the reader knows from the beginning, and it is a matter of following the detective's actions and thoughts in figuring it out, that can be quite a good read, too. Must be a lot more challenging for the author that way, I guess!
Coffee... yes! I need a big mug in the morning, and then usually have a smaller cup in the afternoon, and another one early evening if I want to go out or am expecting guests.
And when summer is here, I so love to have ice cream coffee - I used to do it at home, too, and maybe I could start again this year :-)

LadyPI said...

Yes, I also enjoy mysteries where the reader knows 'who done it' up front, and you get to follow the sleuth to see how they deduce the crime. For that kind of book, it depends on how well it is written as to whether it holds the reader's interest or not.

Enjoy that coffee ice cream. I wonder if author Cleo Coyle has a recipe for that?