CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, March 12, 2010

“Through the Grinder” by Cleo Coyle

This is the 2nd book in the Coffeehouse mystery series featuring female-sleuth Clare Cosi. Clare, who some say has coffee in her veins, is the manager of the historic Village Blend coffeehouse in Manhattan. Over the years the Blend has served coffee to famous artists, actors, playwrights, poets and musicians, as well as ‘ordinary folk’ - local workers, shoppers, students and visiting tourists.

These days the Blend is even getting involved in the local matchmaking scene. They are hosting something they call the “Cappuccino Connection”. As part of an outreach program for a local church, it’s a way for singles to meet other singles and make a connection over a cappuccino. Clare likes it because it brings in business for the coffeehouse.

The rules are everyone must make three connections. The ladies are seated at tables and the guys have five minutes to chat with them before they get up and move on to the next lady at the next table. (Sounds kinda like musical chairs, in a way). If they feel they’ve made a connection, they agree to meet again for a date.

Clare is not thrilled when her 20-year old daughter, Joy announces her intention of attending the next “Cappuccino Connection” night. So Clare decides she’s going to check it out to see what happens and secretly screen the men for Joy.

When you have 20 men you are meeting for five minutes apiece, it’s got to be tough to keep track of who is who. So Clare decides to take out her note-pad and write labels for each guy. Just like she used to when she helped her grandmother can fruits and vegetables each summer! She meets Mr. Slick, Mr. Jock, Mr. Freeloader, Mr. Wall Street, Mr. Superficial Artsy and Mr. Weirdly Intense Painter. Among others.

In the process, Clare is very surprised to find she makes a connection for herself. So what does she write in her note-pad for this guy? Mr. Right.

(Stay tuned for more posts about this book)

7 comments:

Jeanne C. said...

I love this series! She also does a "haunted bookshop" series written as Alice Kimberly. Have you checked it out yet? I like that one, too! Thanks for the review!

Librarian said...

Ah, I'd go for Mr. Weirdly Intense Painter - I do have a thing for artists ;-)

LadyPI said...

Hi Librarian - Glad to hear you wouldn't want Mr. Freeloader! I don't think anyone would want him!

I don't like to label people but I suppose in this instance when you are meeting so many people in a short amount of time, you almost have to.

I was thinking about that today, and I wonder what someone else would label me?

LadyPI said...

Hi Jeanne - Yes, I have read all the Haunted Bookshop series books. It's one of my favorite series.

I was thrilled to be honored by a comment from none other than Jack Shepard himself. I hope he stops by again someday. :-)

I've written about Alice Kimberly's books 3 thru 5 and you can read my posts by going to the 'labels' section on the right hand side of this blog.

Stay tuned for posts on books 1 and 2 of the Haunted Bookshop series, plus more of the Coffeehouse series. I think these books are very well written.

Tales of Whimsy said...

Ooooo I want to read this one too :)

Nan said...

I don't know if you see comments on old postings, but wanted to say I found you after doing a search for this book. Great review. I just wrote a little book report on it myself. I love this series. And I think you've got a great idea for a blog. I'll be back to visit.

LadyPI said...

Hi Nan - I do get notified for all posts. Thanks for your nice comments. I haven't been blogging for awhile now, although I've still been reading books with female-sleuths. Perhaps I should get back to blogging again?!