CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

“Organize Your Corpses” by Mary Jane Maffini

This is book one of the Charlotte Adams professional organizer series. I’ve never read this book, and I haven’t read anything by this author before. That said and 4 chapters later, I am enjoying it.

The book opens with Charlotte meeting a former schoolteacher of hers for a business appointment. The teacher’s name is Miss Helen Henley. Practically all of her students gave her the nick-name of “Hellfire” because she could make your life a living hell. (Haven’t we all had a teacher like that at one time or another?)

Miss Henley has just inherited the family mansion after the death of her cousin. Unfortunately her cousin has left so much stuff in the mansion that it’s hard to turn around. Wall-to-wall, ceiling-to-floor boxes of junk: papers and more papers, tools, building materials, household items, lamps, rags, tires, kitty litter, etc, etc! Some usable, most not. Charlotte notes the house is a disaster as well as being a fire hazard, and feels she has her work cut out for her.

Miss Henley believes there are some very important historical documents hidden amongst all the trash, and gives Charlotte just two weeks to get everything cleaned up and cleared out. Miss Henley asks Charlotte if she has done any of this type of work before: meaning searching for hidden documents, not organizing and cleaning up stuff. Charlotte says (to herself) that she’s read enough Nancy Drew books to help her figure it out!

(Stay tuned for more posts on this book).

5 comments:

Librarian said...

This sounds like something I would enjoy reading, too! Looking forward to getting updates from you about the book(s).

Mary said...

Thanks for reading and commenting on Organize Your Corpses. I was very happy to see that this am (through the magic of Google alerts). Love the site and the topic, as I am hooked on books about women sleuths.

LadyPI said...

Hi Librarian - Yes, there will be more updates. :-)

Hi Mary - Glad you like my site. Are you the author?

I find it challenging to blog about books and not give away too much of the plot. I try to keep the posts entertaining while still saying something relevant about the book.

I'm obviously hooked on women sleuths too. There are so many out there!

Mary Jane Maffini said...

Hi again! I am the author (the grateful author too). I am so happy you discovered the Charlotte Adams mysteries. I am also a former librarian, so I feel really at home in this comment section, Thanks for boosting the wonderful community of female sleuths and their readers. I imagine I will find new series to read here too.

MJ
www.maryjanemaffini.com

LadyPI said...

Hi Mary - You are welcome anytime! Maybe sometime you could write a guest blog post for us too. :-)

I must admit I'm not a prolific reader compared to many other bloggers out there, but I'm doing this for the fun of it. Once I find a female-sleuth I like, I tend to read every book written about her.

So it will take me awhile to get to all the Lady Private Eyes out there!